The Irish Land Commission (ILC) was founded in 1881 and its primary role was to oversee the dissolution of large land estates and enable tenants to purchase the subdivided holdings.
Post-independence in 1923, the ILC continued to acquire and distribute estate in the new state, and principally administer pre-Independence land purchase schemes. On 31 March 1999 the commission was dissolved, and its historic records were transferred to the Department of Agriculture.
However, its records remain an important resource for understanding historical land ownership, and the progression of the transfer of real estate over time.
Ellis & Ellis conduct searches in both the Records Branch (Estates bought by the ILC) for evidence of ownership, and the Administration records section, which deals with the historical acquisition and break-up of the large estates, for proof of transfer, etc.